Time Away Benefits
Paid time off
Team members accrue vacation from the first day of hire and may use accrued hours as earned for many needs, including vacation, illness or injury, personal business or appointments, and family or childcare matters with supervisor’s approval.
Mortenson provides paid time off (PTO)
PTO pay provides flexibility to team members to use their discretion in how to use it. This includes, but is not limited to, situations where team members need time off for their own health and safety, or that of a family member. Team members may use PTO for time away from work as protected by various state and local paid sick leave laws, such as for:
- a team member’s own mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition;
- the mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition of the team member’s family member; or
- to attend an appointment with a health care provider for the care of the team member or the team member’s family member, including preventive care;
- to seek medical attention or other assistance if the team member or team member’s family member has been the victim of domestic abuse, sexual assault, or harassment;
- Or other reasons as protected by applicable state or local laws.
Any team member who needs to take PTO must contact their supervisor, except in emergency circumstances, in which the employee should contact their supervisor as soon as practicable.
The amount of PTO hours you earn depends on your length of service at Mortenson summarized in the chart below:
|Length of Service||PTO Hours/Year||Vacation Hours Accrued/Pay Period||Maximum Accrual Hours (150% of your annual PTO benefit)|
|0 < 8 years||80 (10 – 8-hour days)||1.54 hours per pay period||120 (15 – 8-hour days)|
|8 < 16 Years||120 (15 – 8-hour days)||2.31 hours per pay period||180 (22.5 – 8-hour days)|
|16+ Years||160 (20 – 8-hour days)||3.08 hours per pay period||240 (30 – 8-hour days)|
You can use paid time off as you have accrued your balance. Paid time off should be requested and approved by your supervisor. Your paystub shows your current PTO balance. Any unused PTO time will be paid out upon termination.
Mortenson’s Holiday schedule varies from year to year but on average team members receive eight (8) paid holidays. In order for a team member to receive holiday pay, he/she must work the day before and the day after the holiday unless the absence is approved by his/her supervisor.
Mortenson offers at least eight (8) paid holidays per year
|New Year’s Day||Friday, December 31, 2021|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Monday, January 17, 2022|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 30, 2022|
|July Holiday||Monday, July 4, 2022|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 5, 2022|
|Thanksgiving Day||Thursday, November 24, 2022|
|Thanksgiving Friday||Friday, November 25, 2022|
|December Holiday||Monday, December 26, 2022|
|New Year’s Day (2023)||TBD|
In order for a team member to receive holiday pay, he/she must work the day before and the day after the holiday unless the absence is approved by his/her Supervisor.
Disability or leave of absence
Team members who are enrolled in the medical plan are eligible for benefits with an approved disability – if you find yourself unable to work due to injury or illness. Disability or leave of absence is determined by medical record review completed by Cigna Leave Solutions.
Next, notify your supervisor of the dates you will be off work and the date you will be returning to work. Be sure to contact your supervisor if these dates change.
- Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), you are not required to share the medical or personal reason(s) you’re off work with your supervisor or coworkers.
Following the conversation with HR, eligible team members can contact Cigna Leave Solutions at 1-888–842–4462 to file a disability claim.
For more information, please refer to the Non-Union Craft Disability Leave Guide [PDF] .
If you’re pregnant, you can give your expected delivery date and Cigna will work with you to get the disability process started.
- Contact Cigna Leave Solutions at 1-888-842-4462 (English) or 1-866-562-8421 (Español)
- Or visit the myCigna website to file for disability leave.
|Disability Plan||Coverage Level|
|Weekly Benefit||$500 per week|
|Disability payment begins||First day for hospitalization or eighth day for illness|
|Disability payment length||Up to 26 weeks|
|Maternity||First day hospitalization|
You can also find more information in the disability section of this site.
Learn more about filing for disability leave [PDF].
- FML provides eligible team members up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job and benefits-protected leave per year.
- To be eligible for FML you must have been employed with Mortenson for at least 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months.
- FML runs concurrently with disability leave.
- You cannot extend your time off under disability with FML.
- Cigna Leave Solutions manages the administration of FML.
- Please visit the United States Department of Labor’s website for more information.